Thursday, October 23, 2008
Lynet at Elliptica tagged me. This meme was begun by L. L. Barkat. The rules are as follows:
1. Write about 5 specific ways blogging has affected you, either positively or negatively.
2. link back to the person who tagged you
3. link back to this parent post (LL says she's "not so much interested in generating links, but rather in tracking the meme so I can perhaps do a summary post later on that looks at patterns and interesting discoveries.")
4. tag a few friends or five, or none at all
5. post these rules— or just have fun breaking them
Five ways blogging has changed my life:
1. I feel like I've joined a community in the blog world, or in my case many small communities. For all that communities offer, the best thing is friendship. I feel like I've made some friends for life in the blogging world.
2. Joining people of like mind on any subject gives me more opportunity to think about things I normally wouldn't; things I'm interested in, but have little stimulation in my normal life. I've thought more about science in the last year than I think I have in the past 10 years and I'm a better person for it.
Most people think that blogging communities tend to insulate people, and they can, but I think in belonging to multiple communities I've been able to grow from multiple influences.
3. I can't think of how many times I've received words of encouragement, advice, congratulations, sympathy, and just friendly thoughts on this blog. It's made me happier.
4. I've grown more comfortable with me. I used to segment myself into work-me, home-me, alone-me, and family-me (and probably several others). And to some extent I still do. But through writing as alone-me, I feel more comfortable or maybe I'm more used to expressing myself.
5. Blogging has lead me further into not just talking about things, but doing them too. From podcasting to photography, I feel like I've been able to put my thoughts into action and it feels good.
Okay, I tag: