Miracle Mana Smells Funny  

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Peter Popoff called me the other day. What? You don't know who Peter Popoff is? Does this refresh your memory in any way?



Hmm... well, what about this?



That Peter Popoff called me yesterday to offer me his amazing free Miracle Mana.




I wonder if it's better than his Miracle Spring Water.



It reminds me of a lot of other similar* tricks

*47:00

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


12 comments: to “ Miracle Mana Smells Funny

  • Anonymous
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 8:58:00 PM CDT  

    I hadn't heard of Popoff in years! I didn't know he was still alive. According to Wikipedia, he's still up to the same old tricks. How did you get on his list? Are you really a closet fundy? ;)

  • Unknown
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 9:01:00 PM CDT  

    Well, my number is unlisted, so he didn't know who he was calling. We finally stopped getting calls for the people who had the number previously about 6-8 months ago, but maybe the message was for them?

    I chalk it up to drunk (or desperate) dialing. :)

    I wasn't ever a fundy, per se.

  • Venjanz
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 10:07:00 PM CDT  

    I have no idea how he got your number, or why you will soon be seeing his literature in your mailbox in the next 2-4 weeks.

  • Unknown
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 10:09:00 PM CDT  

    You forget that I have your cell phone number, V. So that literature better not show up.. in my name anyway. I'm sure Matt wouldn't mind receiving some Miracle Mana.

  • Venjanz
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 10:30:00 PM CDT  

    Eh well. Well one thing is for sure is that it wasn't me who put that Savage/Coulter 2008 sticker on your bumper an hour ago.

  • Unknown
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 11:11:00 PM CDT  

    Eh well. Well one thing is for sure is that it wasn't me who put that Savage/Coulter 2008 sticker on your bumper an hour ago.

    I think I just threw up. I'm going to sue! ;)

  • Anonymous
    Friday, April 11, 2008 at 9:16:00 AM CDT  

    As I watched those videos last night, the deacon and I wondered two things:

    1. How the people never figured out that Popoff had accessed information from the cards they filled out as they entered the church. DUH!

    2. How this guy never ended up in jail. (I don't think he did, did he?) I know Jim Bakker did some prison time. I guess I'd have to refresh my memory about the differences between their cases. Bakker must have crossed some legal line while Popoff managed to skate around its edges.

    As we discussed #2, we shook our heads in wonder at the degree to which anything that is justified by religion is allowed to continue unabated, even when it's clearly bogus.

    I'm all for freedom of (and from) religion), but I'm increasingly convinced that we in the USA really need to come to grips with defining the parameters of those freedoms. Stuff like this is fraudulent. Stuff like the FLDS child-marriages is abusive. Stuff like neglecting to get medical attention for sick kids is abusive. It seems like there should be a way to curtail these sorts of extreme behaviors for the good of the overall society.

  • Unknown
    Friday, April 11, 2008 at 9:22:00 AM CDT  

    Chappy: Bakker was convicted of something like 24 counts of mail and wire fraud for his lifetime memberships. The contention was that he oversold the memberships and they were equivalent to timeshares.

    Later he was partially exonerated during a civil suit when the judge ruled that the selling of the partnerships were not timeshares.

    I think most of the time the government won't dare touch a religious group unless the crimes are blatant. Public outrage and a fall from grace was what drove Bakker into court. Most, if not all, televangelists are guilty of the same crimes but have never been investigated or convicted.

  • Anonymous
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 10:40:00 AM CDT  

    He was on TV the other day.. and I couldn't stop watching it.
    It so totally reminded me of Jim Jones (for any of you who don't know who that is, he was the leader of the cult the Peoples Temple who commited a mass suicide in which 900+ people died), as well as leaders of other such cults, who all claimed to be living Gods, and its just so sketchy to know that people like this still exist.
    This man is obviously lying, and someone approves his commercials to air which is ridiculous. He targets poor, black families.. on the commercial every single person except for him, and one other old woman was black. I was like wow.
    Just out of curiosity I wanted to look up some information on him.. and now I've ended up ranting. :)

  • Anonymous
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 10:41:00 AM CDT  

    WAIT.. I MEANT HIM AND ONE OTHER WOMAN WERE NOT BLACK !!! Error.

  • Unknown
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 2:47:00 PM CDT  

    SorrowedYeah, he's totally at the top of the fraud department and totally out there on his religious wackiness (and probably dangerous to people that are hoping for a miracle).

    He's like a cockroach. He keeps getting squashed by skeptics but comes back again and again.

  • Unknown
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 2:27:00 AM CDT  

    As much as I would love to see the charlatans and swindlers gone, their presence was predicted. They won't go away anytime soon. Despite that desire, This country's Constitution assures the freedom of religion, not from religion. The thought of freedom from religion is exactly the notion that is removing God from many facets of everyday life and impinging on the rights of those who would openly worship.

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster