evolutionary roles in gaming  

Wednesday, April 05, 2006



Ok, this article is about how our evolution (male/female) impacts what we desire in gaming. Now I like how the author explains it, but why bodice rippers? Come on. Doesn't a game like Civilization or even some adventure games (like The Longest Journey and Indigo Prophecy)
exploit "social reasoning"?

Why is it that "bodice ripper" has come up in conversation or writing so often for me lately? Is someone trying to tell me something?

And also tell me how are soap operas indicative of "social reasoning"? I've watched soap operas before and believe me, there is no rhyme or reason to them.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


1 comments: to “ evolutionary roles in gaming

  • encephalophone
    Friday, April 7, 2006 at 9:44:00 AM CDT  

    I think "social reasoning" may a nice way of saying "manipulative". I think the article makes the point that women are fascinated by the manipulation of relationships. Soap Opera's are all about the manipulation of relationships for self-serving purposes (and acting careers). Evolution has given us some pretty self-serving characteristics.

    Maybe this built-in manipulativeness is why Survivor was such a huge hit. My Ex loved it. (After they booted Colleen Haskell, I lost all interest in the whole series.)

    Personally, in concert with my evolutionary background, I like games where I shoot things, blow things up.

    Also, I have never ripped anyone's bodice, but I am willing to do so in a safe, consensual, and socially acceptable environment. Seems to me that ripping a good bodice would require considerable muscle--like tearing a phone book, so a special break-away undergarment would be required.

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster